Prop K.I.D.S Updates
Last November, voters approved Proposition K.I.D.S. - Keep Improving District Schools $5 million bond issue by 71%. The district worked with L.J. Hart & Company and was able to secure a total of $5.5 million in bond funding for the capital improvement projects. The district obtained the bond funding without a tax levy increase over the current .95 cents per one hundred dollars of assessed valuation debt service fund levy.
“An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.” - Benjamin Franklin
Thanks to MoCAAT and Community Point Bank, our district will earn even more interest. The district invested the $5.5 million with both of these facilities to maximize our return in investments, ROI. We anticipate a 55.9% increase in our ROI by the end of this year and an additional 78% increase for the next year, if interest rates remain the same and we do not exceed our projected expenditures until we spend the funds.
Capital Improvement Projects and Timeline
Jr./Sr. High School Building
- Construct eight additional classrooms - GBH Builders estimated completion date Summer 2024. At its March 2023 meeting, the Board of Education awarded a contract to GBH Builders Inc. from Jefferson City for $1,681,075 to construct the eight new classrooms.
The board also awarded contracts to the following businesses for the classroom additions:
- Summit Mechanical Inc. for Fire Sprinkler System - $50,250
- Clearview Mechanical Inc. for HVAC - $115,400
- MidStates Energy Co. LLC for electrical - $86,354
Additional Jr./Sr. high school building updates and repairs
- Add and upgrade security cameras - Anticipated completion Spring 2024
- Purchase technology, furniture and fixtures for new classrooms - Anticipated completion Spring 2024
- Complete masonry repairs along the gymnasium wall to prevent further leaks - Near Completion
- Replace the connector between the Ag. and main buildings to meet Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements - Near Completion
Latest Update on the Classroom Additions
- Re-routing of the new 8 inch water main is complete. The existing waterline went through the footprint of the new addition. The new line is routed around the existing asphalt parking lot.
- The City was involved throughout the entire installation, and all lines were pressure tested.
- All engineered fill except for the drainage course under the new slab is complete.
- All of the aggregate piers under the footings have been completed and compaction test reports submitted.
- Exterior windows facing the new addition were removed, replaced with block and painted in the existing classrooms.
- Digging, rebar installation and pouring of footings began Aug. 22.
- Remove existing playground equipment - Completed mid-June
- Regrade existing playground - Project continues as a utility line had to be rerouted.
- Purchase new playground equipment and install new surface material for accessibility - ensuring ALL of our students have access to our playground facilities is a priority. The new equipment will include special swings for our students who are wheelchair bound and the surface material will provide easy access to the equipment. Anticipated completion Fall 2023
- Install new fire alarm system and modify 8 exterior doors to increase safety and security - Anticipated completion this summer
- Pour concrete sidewalk and stairs as well as install new guard rails in the courtyard - Completed fall 2022
- Install new HVAC system for two rooms - Completed May 2023
- Purchase new speaker system for gymnasium - Completed May 2023
Comprehensive School Improvement Plan CSIP
Last year, the school district approved its Comprehensive School Improvement Plan or (CSIP). The CSIP is the district’s strategic plan that was developed through a collaborative process involving both internal and external stakeholders. This is a living document that will guide our district in continuous improvement efforts to provide the best education and facilities for the students we serve as well as our teachers and administrators. The district established three main priorities in the CSIP.
- Priority Area 1 - Teaching/Learning
- Priority Area 2 - Collaborative Culture/Staff
- Priority Area 3 - Funding/Facilities
The funding provided from the Prop K.I.D.S. bond has given the district the opportunity to make great strides in our SMART Goals for our Funding and Facilities priorities. Our students and staff will benefit greatly from these capital improvement projects. We are proud of our district, its staff and our students. We want to provide them with every opportunity possible. We look forward to working together with our contractors, the community and our staff to make these significant improvements to our school district. Together, we will work to educate all students and develop the foundation of tomorrow’s community by expecting excellence today!